martedì, maggio 19, 2009

Paul Kantner, Grace Slick and David Frieberg -
Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun
(1973 acid psych)


Paul Kantner, Grace Slick and David Frieberg - Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun


I had some old creepy hippy doing some construction work around my house a few weeks ago. I pretty much figured that if you're old and doing construction, more than likely you're the type that would be a hippy, listen to hippy music, and complain about politicians particularly those of the party symbolized by the elephant as being the direct source of your financial and educational woes. So it came as no shock to me when this dude after seeing my rather large and extensive music collection recommended me this album by former Jefferson Airplane/Starship members Paul Kantner and Grace Slick, along with David Freiberg (whoever that is)...I don't listen to much of that stuff, in fact I don't know what posessed this guy to think that I'd actually like this kind of music, must've been on something 'cos the only posters I had hanging in my library were of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest...now that I think of it, the guy kind of looked like Paul Kantner...hmmmm...we haven't seen much of Kantner since that big world tour of The KBC Band didn't materialize...I really didn't see that coming. Ok, I don't like Kantner or any anti-American whining pusses, but he did a hell of a job installing my new doors. Anyways I decided to take my hired construction worker/possible Paul Kantner sighting's word and check out Baron Von Tollbooth...and I was reasonably surprised and satisfied with the music...it's mostly psychedelic rock with gospel, country/bluegrass, and progressive rock influences and features a wide range of guests as diverse as The Pointer Sisters and Jerry Garcia, the latter of which was one of the best guitarists ever though a lot of people don't acknowledge him as such...I let him slide only because we're both sons of Spaniards though he looks like a smelly bastard you wouldn't want to be sitting next to on a plane, or even worse sandwiched between him and David Crosby (who also appears here). God I hate hippies, but I love their music...and they're good at installing doors.
http://link-protector.com/277912/

Jorma Kaukonen - Quah (folkrock 1974)



Jorma Kaukonen - Quah


Just because this is a Jorma Kaukonen album doesn't mean that it will sound anything like what he has done before, which is what Quah is. Quah is nothing like the Jefferson Airplane or Hot Tuna, which is good because it shows us a different side of Jorma. This lush beautiful album full of emotion is nothing Jorma had put out previous to this album. Originally it was supposed to be one side of the album with Jorma and the other half with a man named Tom Hobson. When RCA heard the finished product they said it wasn't selable. A new cut of the album was made with two Tom Hobson songs and the rest being Jorma. Many of the songs on the album were written by Rev. Gary Davis with the arrangement being credited to Jorma. Listen and you will enjoy.

Link: http://link-protector.com/277925/

Nessun commento:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...